Monday, August 29, 2016

Is Amazon's New Vehicle Research Database Biased? Maybe....


We just brought you the news about Amazons new Vehicle Research Database. It seems pretty promising as it already has more than 5,000 vehicles listed with at least one or two reviews. As someone who likes to be the devil’s advocate from time to time, I decided that I would look to see what cars have received bad reviews so far – it can be interesting to read this stuff at times. To my surprise, I couldn’t find anything with a bad review. Even selecting the “2-star” rating on pages left menu supplies you with a bunch of cars that all have 5-start ratings. So what gives?

I find it pretty hard to believe that there aren’t any bad reviews out there yet, so I began to play around a bit. Eventually, I found a few vehicles with two-star ratings – specifically for models like the 2013 Nissan 370Z, 2013 Lexus IS250, and even one for a 1999 Oldsmobile 88 and a 1988 Cadillac Brougham. But, finding them wasn’t easy. There’s no way to sort by ascending or descending order, and you can’t simply click on the last page of results – in this case, page 215 – because Amazon has added that feature yet either.

So, how did I find these cars that have a bad rating? I deciphered the webpage’s ridiculous web address that was full of letters, numbers, and percentage signs and determined exactly which part of the address indicated the page number for the given search results. By changing the page number to 214 or 215 manually, I was able to find the lower rated vehicles. But, this isn’t something the average Amazon user would know how to do, which means most people will never stumble across these lower-rated vehicles unless they search for them specifically.

Keep reading for the rest of the story.





from Top Speed http://ift.tt/2bvTksg
via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment